Stainton chapel was built in 1873. In 1940 the chapel had 112 sittings on pews. There were no other rooms. The seating was reduced to 100 in 1980 and 70 in 1991 when there was one other room. It continues in use as a Methodist place of worship.
A plain building in the gothic style. Local stone, roughly shaped but not laid in courses was used for for the walls. Squared but rough red sandstone was used for the dressings. Ashlared stone was only used where essential around openings, for the chimney and for the bellcote.
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940,1980, 1991
Site visit 1.7.2016