The 1851 returns show that there was already an entire and exclusive place of Methodist worship. The site was originally leased and then purchased in 1858. It was registered as a place of worship on 19th September 1854. The entry relating to capacity is unclear. It indicates that all the seats were free and adds “33 X 22” (Are those figures dimensions in feet?) and “space for 120” The figure is unclear.
Fenton chapel was built of brick in 1852 at a cost of £200. It was given to the connexion by Mrs Taylor and family. There were 107 sittings in 1873. By 1940 there were 123 sittings in the chapel and there was also a schoolroom. In 1961-2 heating costing £186.10.0d was installed. The schoolroom was repaired at a cost of £157 in 1963. The society collapsed in 1975 when one family moved away and the chapel, schoolroom, cottage, and land was sold for £3350 in 1976. The building is now (10.05.2014) used as outhouses in conjunction with an adjacent dwelling.
The National Archives HO129/566/2/7
Wesleyan Seating returns, 1873
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940
Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877
DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917
DFCM11/145 papers relating to the sale of the property, 1954 – 77
Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974
Carlisle Library, 1A287, A historical note concerning the Methodist Society at Fenton
Site visit May 2014