Frizington, Main Street WM Chapel, Cumberland
Grid ref NY035174
The Chapel was built of brick in 1883/5. The contractors were Mr Green of Lamplugh (builder), W Tinnion of Lamplugh (joiner), H Burns of Whitehaven (plumber and glazier), and Mr Bainbridge (gas fittings). The exterior walls were “cemented” and had red sandstone dressings. The chapel was opened on 28 May 1884. By 1899 the buildings had cost £2000. In 1940 it had 410 sittings on pews. The school building was on the market in 1970.
In 1980 there were 144 sittings in the chapel and one other room and in 1991 144 sittings and one other room.
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43 – 62
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99
Carlisle Library, 1A287, St John’s Methodist Church, Frizington, Twenty Fifth Anniversary, 1981
NLS 25” OS Cumberland LXVII.8 1899