Warwick upon Eden WM Chapel, Cumberland

NY466567

 

This remarkable building was built of brick and stone as a Sunday School before 1828 by Thomas Parker of Warwick Hall. A memorial in the building states that

He enriched and endowed this Sunday school for the public worship of almighty God in connection with the people called Wesleyan Methodists, and for the religious instruction of the children of this neighbourhood on the Lord’s day

 By the time he died in 1828 it was being used as a place of worship by the Wesleyans. In 1851 it contained a room set apart as a place of worship which had an unspecified number of sittings, all free. It was rented until 1855 when the freehold was purchased. In 1873 it had 200 sittings. In 1940 it had 100 sittings for on forms one other room. It was closed on 16 March 1955 because of a decline in the work. There was another Methodist Chapel within half a mile. The building was sold for £1100[1]. In 2014 it appeared to be used for residential and workshop purposes.

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13 chapel record cards

schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/ 2/126

The National Archives HO129/568/1 /2 1851 census of religious worship

Wesleyan seating returns 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940; Warwich upon Eden Methodist Church, 1828 – 1928

Site visit February 2014


[1]  Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle (CASC)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone