Sebergham/Castle Sowerby

Castle Sowerby WM Chapel site, | G W Oxley
Castle Sowerby WM Chapel site,
G W Oxley
Castle Sowerby WM Chapel footings, 30.4.2016 | G W Oxley
Castle Sowerby WM Chapel footings, 30.4.2016
G W Oxley

1 Sebergham/Castle Sowerby  WM Rented Preaching Place, Cumberland

In 1851 part of a larger building had been used as a pace of worship since 1845. There were 60 free sittings

There were 40 sittings in 1873 

Sources

The National Archives HO129/565/2/18 census of religious worship

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

 

2 Sebergham/Castle Sowerby WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY373407

Castle Sowerby Chapel was built of wood and iron in 1907.It measured 45 feet by 22 feet. In 1911 it had 80 sittings which had increased to 90, all on forms in 1940. It was still in use in 1991. It was subsequently closed and was demolished within the last few years. All that remains are the footings.

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM9/9 Seating returns for 1911

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/20 circuit amalgamation papers, 1940

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991)

Site visit 30.4.2016

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *