Milton WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY 556606

In 1851 services were being held in a shared building providing 40 free seats. A rented preaching place there had seating for 30 in 1873. An iron church seating 100 was built in 1902 when it was valued at £160.
In 1926 application was made to the Chapel Committee for permission to build a new chapel. The existing iron church would become the Sunday school. At that time the membership was seventeen and there were 25 to 30 hearers. The site for the new building was one eighth of an acre. The chapel was to be built of brick and measure 49 feet by 21 feet. It would seat 120 and the estimated cost was £1167.2.0. In 1940 there was  also a schoolroom and one other room. By 1981 the capacity had risen to 95. The chapel had probably closed by 1991. It was subsequently converted to residential use and now betrays no sign of its former use except the name board reading “Chapel View.” 

Sources

The National Archives HO120/566/2/61851 census of religious worship

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Cumbria archives Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria archives Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM11/33-4 Brampton Wesleyan Circuit trust schedules, 1879-98, 1918-37

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle  DFCM11/188 Milton property papers

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle  SRDBA3/12/1926 Building bye law plans

Site visit 6.3.2016

Milton WM Chapel, from the southeast, 7.3.2016
G W Oxley
Milton WM Chapel, from the southwest, 7.3.2016
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *