Egremont, Main Street WM Chapel and Sunday School, Cumberland, CA22 2DR

Grid ref NY012108

The Chapel was built of stone in 1876. A heating apparatus was installed in 1884. A new schoolroom was opened in 1891/2. By 1899 the buildings had cost £3010. An organ was installed in 1899/1900. In 1940 the chapel had 311sittings in pews. There was a schoolroom and four other rooms. In 1963-5 renovations including a new heating system were carried out as a consequence of a fire at a cost of £5083.11.5d In 1980 there were 250 sittings in the chapel and 2 other rooms and in 1991 250 sittings and 2 other rooms. The building continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship.

Sources

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM2/38

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82 – 97

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43 – 62

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974 [NB inconsistencies in the description and reporting of works may mean that some projects are entered twice]

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 6.10.2017

Egremont, Main Street WM Chapel, north side, , 6.10.2017
G W Oxley
Egremont, Main Street WM Chapel, school, , 6.10.2017
G W Oxley
Egremont, Main Street WM Chapel, notice boards, 6.10.2017
G W Oxley
Egremont Main Street WM Chapel. Facade 6.10.17

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone