Brampton, Wesley, Main Street WM Chapel, Cumberland
Main Street Chapel was built of stone and opened on 8 November 1900. It had 450 sittings, 400 free and 50 let. The architect was J Wills of Derby and London and the contractors were T Telfer, builder(£1279.10.2); J Reed, joiner(£636.16.3); J Hewitson of the City Slate Works, St Nicholas, Carlisle, slater(£145); JB Penfold of Brampton, painter, (£98.14.11); Wallace & Allen, plumbers (£212.15.8); William Barker of Brampton, plasterer (£36.6.0); J & J Wharton & Sons, ironmongers (£16.17.10); and J Corbet heating engineer(£71.2.19). The total cost was £3600.
A large schoolroom and classrooms were added at a cost of £750 in 1902. The contractors were Isaac Gill of Ainstable, builder, (£326); William Barker (£25.36); Penfold & Son (£35); John Warwick of Brampton, joiner (£222.10.3); Milburn & Son (£1.18.4); Mr Corbet, heating & hydraulic engineer of Corporation Road, Carlisle (£32.10); Ancaster Bros (£2.3.1); J Hodgkinson, Clapton light manufacturer and gas, lighting, and sanitary engineer of Newcastle upon Tyne (£7.5.8); A&P Routledge (£10.1.4); W Jameson (£25.8.4); In 1940 there was a schoolroom and two other rooms and the chapel had 300 sittings in pews. In 19 51-2 and 1958-9 roof repairs were carried out at a cost of £270 and £150. Toilets costing £673 were installed in 1969-70.There were 350 sittings in 1980 and 330 in 1991.
The building was being used as a Methodist Church in November 2014
Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM/11/67, 155, 167, 176, 32, 53
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99
Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974 Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991