Garrigill North (Town Foot) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (ii) was built in 1859 to replace the one built in 1814/15. In 1889 a new organ loft was installed over the vestry and new seats provided for the choir. In 1873 there were 378 sittings. By 1909 the congregation was contracting in line with the decline of the mining industry and the chapel was considered to be too big. As a result it was decided to install a floor at gallery level and use the upper part as a chapel and the lower for the Sunday school. The estimated cost was £370. This had reduced the seating capacity to 300 in 1911. By 1931 the reported capacity was 250 (200 lettable and 50 free) but for reasons not apparent the central authorities chose to raise this to 270 for the published figures. By 1940 the capacity had been further reduced to 210 in pews. There was also a schoolroom and one other room. There were 300 sittings in 1980 but the chapel had closed by 1991.
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester Newcastle Wesleyan Methodist District property schedules 1900-1903
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873/594, 1901/741, 1911/704, 1931/714
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD2 Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places,, 1931/714
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM10/83 Alston Circuit trust schedules, 1929-1942
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Carlisle Library, 1A287, John W Garbutt, Garrigill North Methodist Church, 1959.