The Chapel was acquired in 1856 at a cost of £184. A further £230 was spent on the chapel in 1872-3. There were 176 sittings in 1873.In 1877 a harmonium was purchased and a new stove was installed. It was closed when the new chapel was built in 1902.
With its elaborate gable and its crenellated projection this building is most unusual by Wesleyan and Cumbrian standards. Its appearance suggests that it may have been erected for some other purpose and was acquired as a complete building by the Wesleyans. The projection was absent from the 1862 25 inch OS map but was present in 1899. Perhaps it represents the additional works added in 1872-3. Its central position probably obstructed the original entrance and the date plaque above it; the latter had to be moved to its present rather awkward position. Was the new building intended to house a staircase giving access to a gallery which had been installed to provide additional seating?
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM/1/2/83-97
Site visit 6.10/2017