Workington, Finkle/South William Street WM Chapel, Cumberland
Grid ref NY002289
Finkle Street Chapel was built in 1840 and was opened on Christmas Day. It was built in the classical style with a porticoed gable end of three bays with a central doorway. There were projecting porticoed structures at each side. By 1862 the cumulative cost of erection and subsequent improvement was £2000 . Major improvements to the lighting and heating were carried out in 1863. In 1883 new schools were added, two vestries were demolished and new pews were installed. A vestibule was added in 1886. It had 336 free and 475 other sittings in 1851 and, in 1873, 471 lettable and 187 free seats. By 1881 this had been adjusted to 431 lettable and 218 free. The chapel burned down in 1889 and was replaced by South William Street WM Chapel(qv) on the same site. The Centenary Brochure contains images of both the interior and exterior of the Chapel.
The National Archives HO129/170/3/15
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82 – 97
Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM1/1/32-3
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Centenary Brochure, 1940