The chapel was built in 1833 at a cost of £337 and extended in 1844. It reopened, presumably after the completion of building work, in 1859/60. In 1851 it had 200 free and 50 other sittings and the internal measurements were 43 feet by 24 feet.
The ‘low room’ was let to a girls day school.
It had 234 sittings in 1873. The building was became a Sunday school when the new chapel was built in 1891. It was subsequently closed and demolished. The site is now occupied by housing.
The National Archives HO129/570/4/20 1851 census of religious worship
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1852-1864
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM6/1/40
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Griffin, EW, Watchers of a Beacon: The Story of the Keswick and Cockermouth Methodist Circuit
Site visit summer 2014