Nether House chapel was built in 1833 at a cost of £100. The date plaque reads “Wesleyan Methodist Chapel built 1833“. The returns of 1851 omitted the number of sittings, making reference to a letter, now missing from the file. There were 100 sittings in 1873. In 1888 a vestibule was added at a cost of £5.12.0d.. It was probably closed when the chapel at nearby Hethersgill opened in 1900. Permission for the sale of the property for £40 – 50 was given in 1901-2 and the sale had been completed by 1903.
The National Archives HO129/567/2/6
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM1/2/82-97 Carlisle WM District property schedules
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917)
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM/11/32 – 33, Brampton Circuit trust schedules, 1860 – 1898
Site visit, 7th February 2016