Wigton, High Street WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY255483

High Street Chapel was built of stone in 1883, It was intended to be 64 feet in legth by 35 feet 6 inches in width with three vestries and a schoolroom behind. There were to be 150 sittings to let, 50 reserved for Sunday school children,100 free and 300 in the schoolroom. Bboth spaces were “fitted with comfortable seats”. The land cost £243.10.0 and the buildings £1988.15.8½. In 1901 it was “re-lighted, beautified, and a new organ and choir gallery added”. Only 271 sittings were reported in 1911 and 1941, by which time they were all in pews. In 1941 there were also two halls 48½ feet by 29 feet and 22 feet by 9 feet. By 1980 the seating capacity had fallen to 147. The chapel was in use as a Methodist place of Worship in 2014. (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM2/20, DFCM9/9,18, DFCM3/1/43-62; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991)

 

Wigton WM Chapel 09.11.2013
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone