Wigton, George Street WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY254482

Ground plan of Wigton, George Street  WM  Chapel from 0S 1 to 500 Cumberland XXIX 5 25 circa 1860 ii | g
Ground plan of Wigton, George Street WM Chapel from 0S 1 to 500 Cumberland XXIX 5 25 circa 1860 ii
g

George Street Chapel was built in 1828 at a cost of £660. In 1861 it was described as a chapel with cottages underneath. It had 344 sittings in 1873. In support of proposals to replace it, it was stated in 1882 to be “in a very dilapidated condition, uncomfortable, situated in a back street with no vestries and a Sunday school held in a dark damp cellar”. the seating consisted of 200 sittings in pews and 140 on benches. After the High Street Chapel was opened it was sold and subsequently demolished. The site is now occupied by residential buildings. (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM9/9,18, DFCM1/2/92-97, DFCM3/1/43-62, DFCM1/3/282-97; Wesleyan seating returns, 1873)

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *