Nest Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Cumberland

Nest Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was opened on 25 December 1844. It measured 23 feet by 17 feet and cost £60 plus £3 for land. In 1851 it had 70 free seats, 20 other seats and standing room for 30. In 1873 it had 100 sittings but this had fallen to 95 by 1901 60 lettable and 35 free in 1931. By 1940 there were 70 sittings in pews. There were no other rooms. The chapel closed 1949.

Sources
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, Methodist Conference Archive Register of applications to build Nos 1804-2166, 7 Dec. 1842 – 9 July 1846 No 1982, 4 Sept 1844
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873/594, 1901/741, 1911/620, 1931/714
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM10/83 Alston Circuit trust schedules, 1929-1942 TNA The National Archives HO129/564/1/13 1851 ecclesiastical census
Carlisle Library, 1A287 Returns of Accommodation as at 1st July 1940, printed summary No 386

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.