Ireby WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY238391

Ireby WM Chapel, gable end, 5.6.20165 | G W Oxley
Ireby WM Chapel, gable end, 5.6.20165
G W Oxley
Ireby WM Chapel, side view, 5.6.20165 | G W Oxley
Ireby WM Chapel, side view, 5.6.20165
G W Oxley
Ireby WM Chapel, date plaque, 5.6.20165 | G W Oxley
Ireby WM Chapel, date plaque, 5.6.20165
G W Oxley
Ireby WM Chapel,notice board, 5.6.20165 | G W Oxley
Ireby WM Chapel,notice board, 5.6.20165
G W Oxley

Ireby Chapel was built of stone in 1871 at a cost of £208. It measured 40 feet by 26 feet There were 140 sittings in 1873, reduced to 114 by 1911. It had the same number, all on forms, in 1940. The sittings had fallen to 80 in 1980 and the chapel was closed by 1991. It is now used as self-catering accommodation for people with dementia or other disabilities

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM9/9 Seating returns for 1911

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/20 circuit amalgamation papers, 1940

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 5th June 2016

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone