Low Row WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY 587634

In 1851 services were being held in Low Row Schoolroom which had been built in 1850 and provided 80 free sittings. Low Row chapel was built of stone in 1866 at a cost of £234. The chapel was 26 feet by 21 feet and the vestry 7 feet by 6½ feet. The contractors were R Gibson, builder; W Moffatt, joiner; Thompson & Sons, stone & castings; Mr Pears, stove; Messrs Campbell, lamps; Forster & Co, flags; Lees & Graham, castings; Cowan, Sheldon & Co, window bars; T Carrick, lime; J Smith of Beckstonegate Rroad. There were 85 sittings in 1873. In 1884 the existing chapel was converted into a schoolroom and a new chapel, 50 feet by 21 feet with seating for 170 was built. The land cost £37.15.9 and the building £797.8.5. The premises were renovated in 1903. In 1940 the chapel had 183 sittings, all in pews, and there was a schoolroom and one additional room. Conveniences costing £45 were installed in 1953-4. The chapel was closed as a place of worship 16 May 1975.


The National Archives HO129/566/2/11 1851 census of religious worship

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM11/32- 3 Brampton Wesleyan Circuit trust schedules, 1860 – 78, 1879-98, 1918-37

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM11/94 application to the Chapel Committee

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM11/53

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13 chapel record cards

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.