Stanley Wesleyan Methodist chapel 1818-1826

Preaching started at the small mining village of Lee Moor in about the year 1801. The society here rented a preaching room from 1802, which was paid for by West Parade.

1818, a chapel was built at Lee Moor for the sum of 84 pounds, the money being borrowed from the trustees at West Parade. The society cleared this debt in March 1821, but it was not long before they were in debt again. July 1820 saw the society borrow 800pounds for the erection of a School to accommodate the bible classes, Sunday School, and congregation as they had outgrown their old chapel. The society requested the money at the Leaders meeting in 1818, the money being borrowed of the Rev Samuel Woolmer.

One of the members of the congregation at Lee Moor included the local preacher, Mr C Turner.

At this time, services where held at 10 in the morning with an afternoon service at 2:30

 By 1852 congregation consisted of 16 full members with 3 on trial. In 1855, the Bottom Boat society was merged with Lee Moor, transferring 16 members. By 1862 the combined Lee Moor and Bottom Boat society had 39 full members.

In 1855 the membership stood at 16 full members with 3 on trial. which by 1872 stood at 36. In the same year the trustees applied a new Sunday School for the sum of 200pounds. 1874 saw the 49 strong congregation merge with the nearby Stanley Wesleyans to create a central Wesleyan cause for the Stanley area.

The building was renovated in 1876 and was used as the Sunday School up until 1926.


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.