The buildings illustrated were built on Middlesbrough Street in 1880.
They were designed by F.R.N. Haswell (1834-1912) an architect based in North Shields, whose father was the Wesleyan minister Rev. John P. Haswell (1790-1870). He designed a number of other Wesleyan Methodist chapels, and is the subject of an article by G.R. Potts.
At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, the church could seat 700. Further details would be welcomed.
Grid Ref: NZ532207
Reference: The twenty-sixth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1880 page 144
Potts, G.R. “F.R.N. Haswell, Methodist architect 1834-1912” Wesley Historical Society (NE ) Bulletin, 53, March 1990, pp20-29