In 1940 St John’s Wesleyan Methodist Chapel had seating for 740 in pews. There were three schoolrooms and sixteen other rooms.
This is an enormous building erected on a site which falls away steeply from the roadway affording accommodation on several levels. It can be compared with the long demolished chapel at Maryport in Cumbria which was built on a similar but perhaps more precipitous site. The building is now in residential occupation.
Methodist Property Statistics 1940
Site visit 16.6.2018