Hull, Waltham Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1813. In 1851 it provided 300 free and 1200 other sittings. The ground plan made in 1853 shows that this was an impressive building. From Waltham Street the chapel was reached through a projecting vestibule and at each of the front corners there was a tower containing stairs leading to the gallery. There was an apse opposite the entrance and behind it small rooms. A vestry projected from the southwest corner. The land around the chapel contained several trees. To the north of the chapel was an unlabelled block containing rooms of various sizes. In 1888 the chapel was little changed but it seems likely that the block to the north had been rebuilt as a Sunday school. In 1851 the chapel provided 500 free and 1496 other sittings. This had been reduced to 1217 by 1873 and remained at roughly that level to 1931. By 1941 the accommodation had dropped to 800 on a mixture of pews and chairs, perhaps indicating the closure of the gallery. There was a school hall and 10 other rooms.
The Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship, ed. John Woolfe, Vol 1 City of York and the East Riding No.428
Ordnance Survey 1:1056 plan of Hull, 1853, sheet 7 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website)
Ordnance Survey 1:500 plan of Hull, 1888-9, sheet CCXL 3.11 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hull Waltham Street Circuit Circuit 1873/ 528
John Rylands Library University of Manchester Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931 Hull Waltham Street, DDPD2/4/630
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson, Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation,1941/600 Hull Waltham Street Circuit