Middlesbrough, Woodlands Road

The front of the building
The First World War Memorial - now in Grove Hill Methodist Church, Middlesbrough
Pte. Walter Gatenby, Royal Engineers mentioned on war memorial and on family grave on Linthorpe Cemetery, Middlesbrough

Not listed but on Middlesbrough Council Local List Building ID B3.1
Now part of Teesside University
Architect: Danby & Simpson
Date: 1908
Statement of Significance – Originally built as a Wesleyan Chapel in 1908 as the town expanded southwards. The building is of red brick with a slate roof and ochre terracotta or faience dressings, decoration and banding. It is similar to the Park Methodist Church which is on the national list of buildings of special architectural and historic interest. There are many classical details, not least of which is the overall form which reflects the design of a Grecian or Roman temple. The front gable has a very distinctive tripartite window (often known as a Serliana window after the architect Serlio) and this is repeated but in a less elaborate form on the side elevation. The main entrance has a pedimented doorway which repeats the main roof gable motif. The corner windows on each side have eared architraves with keystones in terracotta/ faience. The building was bought by the University of Teesside in 1976 to become part of the University Sports Centre. A prominent building on Woodlands Road, it adds character to the University Complex.”

Comments about this page

  • Thanks for pointing this out, Ian!

    By Pamela Atkins (14/02/2024)
  • It should read Middlesbrough not Middlesborough

    By Ian Stubbs (13/02/2024)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.