Almondbury, St John's WM Chapel, Yorkshire

Grid ref SE167150

It is usually stated that the chapel on this site was opened in 1816 but the plaque now incorporated in the wall of a later building implies that the first structure on the site was built in 1812. The plaque is much weathered and difficult to read. The text starts “Then Samuel took a stone” and concludes “called the name Ebenezer, 1812” and added later “Rebuilt 1900“. It would therefore seem that the original chapel on the site was erected in 1812 but that it was relegated to Sunday school use after the chapel which occupied the front of the site was completed in 1816. In 1851 the chapel had 148 free sittings and 252 others. The 1812 building was demolished c1900 to make was for the new Sunday school block. This is a most impressive building of five bays. The 1816 chapel was demolished in 1968 and replaced in 1969 by an interesting square structure. It is unfortunate that the overall impression in marred by the uninspired appearance of the vestibule. The building continues to be  used as a Methodist place of worship

Source

Woolf, John, Ed, Yorkshire returns of the 1851 census of religious worship, Vol 3, West Riding South

Site visit 26.02.2017

Almondbury WM Chapel, church and vestibule
G W Oxley
Almondbury WM Chapel, Plaque
G W Oxley
Almondbury WM Chapel, Sunday schools
G W Oxley
Almondbury WM Chapel, Ssunday schools, plaque
G W Oxley
Almondbury WM Chapel, Sunday schools, notice board
G W Oxley
Almondbury WM Chapel, linking structure and c19 building
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *