Bowes is in that part of Yorkshire that was transferred to County Durham in 1974.
The first appearance of Bowes in the Quarterly Meeting appears to be have been in 1800, when four members are recorded. A chapel, seating 188, was replaced by this building in 1878 at a cost of £400.
Mr Guyler took this photograph in 1991. Twenty-seven years on, the building still exists but as a domestic building.
Grid reference NY992135
Bulmer’s History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)
Steele, Anthony The History of Methodism in Barnard Castle London: George Vickers, 1857 p189