Hull, George Yard Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Yorkshire

Ordnance Survey 1:1056 plan of Hull, 1853, sheet 8 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website)

Hull, George Yard Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in before 1800. In 1851 it provided 280 free and 784 other sittings. The ground plan made in 1853 shows that the body of the chapel was almost square and shared its side walls with neighbouring buildings. The central third of the front wall projected slightly and the entrance was in the middle. Towards the back of the chapel there was a slightly narrower chancel like structure. By 1873 the seating accommodation had been reduced to 950. The building was little changed in 1888-9. The site was later used, with other land, for the construction of Queen’s Hall which opened in 1900

Sources

The Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship, ed. John Woolfe, Vol 1 City of York and the East Riding No.419

Ordnance Survey 1:1056 plan of Hull, 1853, sheet 8 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website)

Ordnance Survey 1:500 plan of Hull, 1888-9, sheet CCXL 3.12 reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (Map images website

John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Hull George Yard Circuit Circuit 1873/ 529

John Rylands Library University of Manchester Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1931 Hull Mission Circuit, DDPD2/4/633

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *