The building illustrated was designed by Robert Boyle of Manchester, like the contemporary wesleyan chapel in Marsden. It was built in 1872-23 with “seats for 300” and dedicated on 10 February 1873. Prior to then, services had been held in a cottage on Church Street known locally as the “Water House”. Part of the ceiling collapsed in April 1913 and the building was subsequently declared unsafe.
A replacement chapel was built in 1914-15 at a cost of around £2,000. At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, this could seat 384.
Grid Ref: SE129163
Reference: The eighteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1872 page 126
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947