The first chapel on Brougham Road was erected in 1824, but was replaced by the building illustrated in 1871-72. This was in turn extended in 1898.
A contemporary report described the style of the building as Italian, and the chapel as being 52ft. long and 42ft. wide. There was a school room for 300 persons, whilst the chapel would hold about 400 persons. The total cost was estimated at £1,500.
Built to seat 410, at the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 450.
The architect, Robert Boyle (1836-1927), was also responsible designing Paddock Wesleyan Chapel at about the same time.
In 1968 the congregation joined with the Congregational church to form Marsden United Church and the chapel illustrated was sold in 1969. The building was later demolished and the site is currently home to Marsden Infant & Nursery School.
Grid Ref: SE050116
Reference: The eighteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1872 page 126
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Building News 5 April 1872 page 283