East Street Wesleyan Methodist chapel was designed by George Woodhouse of Bolton. He had an extensive practice, designing at least thirty chapels, as well as the training college at Didsbury and Methodist Central Hall in Manchester.
It replaced the earlier Lindley Wesley Chapel of 1795, which became the Sunday School.
The foundation stone was laid on 5 January 1867 by Mrs. James N. Sykes and work was completed by June 1868 at a cost of around £3,600.
The chapel was enlarged in 1895-96, including a chancel designed by architect Edgar Wood. It is a listed building.
Built to seat 620, at the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 424. It is still in use as a Methodist church, the other Methodist congregations having joined in the 1960s.
Grid Ref: SE 119185
Reference: The seventeenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1871 page 126
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947