The buildings illustrated were designed by Messrs A.D. Cuffley and William Horton of Manchester. The foundation stone was laid on 28th May 1863, and the chapel opened on 15th September 1864.
The chapel was entirely financed by the generosity of the Wesleyan Methodist philanthropist, and industrialist, John Fernley (1796-1873) who had retired to Southport and who worshipped in the church. It was built in the Early English style and measured 114 ft 6 in. in length, and 57 feet across (77 feet across the transcepts). It seated 775 adults., and at the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it was estimated to seat 800.
No expense was spared by Mr. Fernley, and this extended to stained glass windows “of a chaste geometric design”.
The church closed for Methodist worship in 1976.
The grounds extended to 3040 square yards, and included a minister’s residence, chapel keeper’s and schoolmaster’s residences, and both an infants’ and mixed juvenile school. These were built, as can be seen, in a similar architectural style.
Grid Ref: SD333167
Reference: The Civil Engineer and Architect’s Journal 28, 1865 page 65
The tenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1864 frontispiece
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947