The Wesleyans of Southport built their third chapel in 1878.
SOUTHPORT – Memorial stones of a new Wesleyan chapel in Leyland‑road, Manchester road, were laid on the 25th ult. The plan comprises nave, transepts, and chancel, and the designs show a building of a plain 13th century Gothic character, with little use of elaborate mouldings or tracery. The approach to the nave is through a tower to the right, and a porch to the left, both connected by screens with central vestibule. Galleries are provided in the transepts and over entrance, the nave being clear and in one span. On either side of chancel are vestries, and in the rear is a band room seating 100 persons. At the chief angle is a tower with spire, to be carried to a height of 150 feet The windows will be glazed with dead lights, having coloured margins ; the large rose window at end of the chancel being enriched with geometric figures in various tints. The architects are Messrs. Wm. Waddington and Son, of Burnley, and the contractors Messrs. Bridge and Son, of Southport. The estimated cost is £10,000 [Building News 11 October 1878 page 382].
The church is now a listed building, so a further architectural description and photograph may be seen here
At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 788. It is still open as a Methodist church.
William Waddington (1816-1891) and his partners were also responsible for the design of a further twenty-seven Wesleyan chapels in the North-West.
Grid Ref: SD349176
Reference: The twenty-fourth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1878 page 133
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Building News 11 October 1878 page 382.
Architects of Greater Manchester, 1800-1940. Accessed 17 December 2019 https://manchestervictorianarchitects.org.uk/