Halliwell Road Wesleyan Methodist chapel was designed by George Woodhouse of Bolton. He had an extensive practice, designing at least thirty chapels, as well as the training college at Didsbury and Methodist Central Hall in Manchester.
This was another of the large Wesleyan chapels of the era, seating 1150.
Grid Ref: SD713106
Reference: The fifteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1869 page 126
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947