NEWTON HEATH. – Dedication services of a new Wesleyan chapel were commenced on Thursday week. The chapel stands on a plot of ground adjoining the main road, immediately opposite the old chapel. The body of the new building is a parallelogram, 69 feet by 47 feet, and is surrounded by a gallery three pews deep. Accommodation has been provided for 890 worshippers. The minister’s vestry and other rooms occupy the rear of the chapel. The choir apse is octagonal, defined in the chapel by a moulded arch, supported on richly carved caps, with shafts and bases. The chapel roof is octagonal, in one span, without the beams or rods. The roof and interior fittings are of pitch‑pine, varnished. A sycamore band surmounts the wall boarding, and is inlaid with designs in oak and ebony. The external elevation is faced with Burnley parpoints and Yorkshire stone dressings. A tower and spire rise to a height of 125 feet at the west of the building. The chapel has been erected by Mr. Brown, of Hollinwood, from the designs of Mr A. W. Smith, architect, of Manchester and Liverpool. The contract was let for £6,300, and the cost of the land, together with the extension of the schoolrooms, will raise the total expenditure to £9,000. [Building News 24 September 1880 p368]
The original chapel had been built around 1825. At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, this new chapel could seat 870.
Grid Ref: SD880008
Reference: The twenty-eighth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1882 frontispiece
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Building News 24 September 1880 page 368
Architects of Greater Manchester, 1800-1940. Accessed 17 December 2019 https://manchestervictorianarchitects.org.uk/