Chorlton Wesleyan Chapel on Manchester Road opened in 1873, the foundation stone having been laid in June 1872. It was known as ‘Chorlton New Chapel’ (Beech Road Wesleyan was ‘Chorlton Old Chapel) and was required following a rapid increase in the population of Chorlton. The initial cost was £4,000. The chapel needed to be restored following a fire in 1883. A church hall and Sunday school was also added at the rear of the site. The buff coloured sandstone building, with a steeply pitched roof covered in Welsh blue/black slate, was designed by H. J. Paull. It has geometrical tracery to a large east window facing the road and a south‑east turret, also close to the road.
During his career Henry John Paull (1831-1888) carried out numerous Nonconformist churches, chapels, and schools, all being in English or French phases of Fourteenth Century Gothic.
Built to seat 500, at the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 600.
It is still in use, and a photo may be seen on the church website
Grid Ref: SJ814939
Reference: The eighteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1872 page 118
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Manchester Guardian 17 June 1872 page 3
Building News 21 June 1872 page 508
Architects of Greater Manchester, 1800-1940. Accessed 17 December 2019 https://manchestervictorianarchitects.org.uk/