Askham in Furness, Duddon Road WM Chapels, Lancashire

Askham in Furness, Duddon Road WM Chapel, Lancashire

Askham in Furness, Duddon Road WM Chapel was erected in 1870 at a cost of  £375. There were 300 sittings in 1873. It probably closed when the new chapel opened in 1909. Its exact location has not been established.

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

 

Askham in Furness, Duddon Road WM Chapel, Lancashire

Grid ref SD213777

Askham in Furness, Duddon Road WM Chapel was erected in 1909. In 1940 the chapel had 300 sittings on forms and there was a schoolroom. By 1980 the number of sittings had fallen to 100. It continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship. This building is an example of the experimental strain which entered Wesleyan architecture in the early years of the twentieth century in contrast (1) to the traditional gothic which remained the style of choice elsewhere (2). The walls, which were probably of brick like the perimeter wall, have been rendered and make a sharp contrast with the red facings. These are partly of brick and partly of the then fashionable terra cotta. Gothic was not abandoned but it is used in innovative ways such as the patterned brickwork above the three light window. The newel caps on the perimeter wall are a striking but egregious feature. Sandstone was probably chosen for the principal foundation stones for practical reasons.   

 

1 See also Milnthorpe, Beetham Road (1904) in Westmorland and Cookham Rise in Berkshire

2 eg Brampton, Main Street in Cumberland of 1900 and Sedbergh in Yorkshire  (now Cumbria) of 1914.

 

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit, 23.7.2016

Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, front of chapel, 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, notice board, 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, south east side of chapel, 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, foundation stones (i), 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, foundation stones (ii), 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, foundation stones (iii), 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, foundation stones (iv), 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, foundation stones (v), 23.7.2016
G W Oxley
Askham, Duddon Roas WM Chapel, foundation stones (vi), 23.7.2016
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone