Arnside WM Chapel, Lancashire (now Cumbria)

Grid ref SD457787

Arnside WM Chapel, east dide, 2.3.2017 | G W Oxley
Arnside WM Chapel, east dide, 2.3.2017
G W Oxley
Arnside WM Chapel, south end, 2.3.2017 | G W Oxley
Arnside WM Chapel, south end, 2.3.2017
G W Oxley
Arnside WM Chapel, foundation stone, 2.3.2017 | G W Oxley
Arnside WM Chapel, foundation stone, 2.3.2017
G W Oxley

 Arnside WM rented preaching place had 120 sittings in 1873 (Source Wesleyan seating returns, 1873)

Arnside WM Chapel was opened on 30th June 1876 It was valued at £863 in 1877. The foundation stone for a schoolroom was laid on 2nd April 1888 and for the enlargement of the chapel on 9th September 1899. The latter works entailed dividing the existing building into two and inserting a nave and transepts between them. A new schoolroom was opened in 1889/90

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99

Carlisle Library 1A287, Arnside Methodist Church, !876-1976

Hyde & Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Cumbria, p117

Site visit 2.3.2017

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone