Pendleton, Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel, Broad Street

Pendleton, Brunwick Wesleyan
Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1880

A competition was arranged for the rebuilding of Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel, Pendleton, in March 1879. The cost was not to exceed £8,500.

The designs of R.K.Freeman were chosen, for a chapel accommodating 1,170 persons, as follows: – Ground floor, 610; gallery, 302; fall seats, 70; scholar’s seats, 150 and choir, 40. Three class-rooms or vestries, with choir vestry over, lavatories, &c., are provided. A lecture hall at the back accommodates 162 and has direct communication with the chapel. It is provided with vestry, lavatory, &c. A wagon-shaped ceiling is shown in section for the chapel roof. Yorkshire stone dressings, with parpoints from Southowram, were proposed for the general walling. The estimated cost was £8,584.

The opening services of the Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel, Pendleton took place on Good Friday, 15 April 1881. “The new building is of stone in the Gothic style, with a tower and spire, and has been designed by Mr R K Freeman, architect, Bolton. The length of the edifice is 96 feet, the interior, (omitting space occupied by the vestries and organ chamber) being 76 feet long. The width is 55 feet in the body and 75 feet between the transepts, which constitute an important feature of the interior arrangements. The roofs are of steep pitch. Seats are provided for nearly 1,200 persons, the arrangement being a radiating form from the pulpit or rostrum, the transepts having been introduced in order to increase the width and to bring the audience as much as possible around the preacher. The floor falls somewhat towards the pulpit. A lecture hall adjoins the chapel on the north side, and in it is seating accommodation for about 160 persons. The cost of the building has been between £11,000 and £12,000 and the work has been carried out by Messrs. R Neill & Sons, Strangeways (Manchester).”

At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could still seat 1100.

The chapel closed in 1977 and was demolished, but a photograph of the building may be seen here

R. Knill Freeman (1840-1905) designed a very wide range of buildings like many practices of the time: he was mainly an ecclesiastical architect but also designed schools, pubs, theatres, pier improvements, vicarages, libraries, town halls, museums, and public baths. He designed churches all over Lancashire and houses for Bolton’s more prosperous citizens.

Grid Ref: SJ814994

Reference: The twenty-sixth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1880 page 133

Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947

Architects of Greater Manchester, 1800-1940. Accessed 17 December 2019

Building News 21 March 1879 page 299
Manchester Guardian Mon 14 July to Sat 19 July 1879 Page 4 (Contracts)
British Architect 11 April 1879
Builder 16 April 1881: page 491.
Salford Weekly Courier 3 January 1880 Page 2
Building News 9 January 1880 page 39







Comments about this page

  • The answer to Mr Cameron’s question is that the records of this church are deposited with Manchester Archives and, if a decision was taken regarding the war memorial when the church closed, then it would be recorded in the minutes. There may be something about the names in the church records from 1921. The whole question of commemorating the Wesleyan war dead is addressed on our sister site My Methodist History at

    By Philip Thornborow (09/04/2020)
  • According to the Imperial War Museum website, this Church had a WW1 war memorial with 44 names on it, including 22 who died, unveiled in April 1921. The website describes the memorial in detail, including the dedication on it, yet no record exists of the 44 names. Surely a list must exist somewhere, that could be passed to the IWM and the SWARM (Salford WAR Memorials) website?

    By Ian Cameron (07/04/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.