This church was designed in 1904 by the architects Potts, Son and Hennings of Manchester. Edward Potts (1839-1909) was a Methodist, brought up in the UMFC but later very active in his local Wesleyan church. He was an innovative builder of cotton mills, but also designed a number of Methodist chapels. This was one of four all illustrated in the same edition of The Building News.
The church was designed to seat 150, with a schoolroom for 100. the two were divided by a sliding screen, enabling the full space to be used for special occasions. The church was built of red brick, with creosoted half-timber work above. At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 151, and had seven ancilliary rooms.
Joined with the other two Horwich Methodist congregations in the early 1970s, when a new church was built in the community.
Grid Ref: SD657098
The Building News Vol. 86, Jan-June 1904, p 549
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947