This Society has been in existence since at least 1804, and originally met in cottages next to Radcliffe Bridge. In 1815, a chapel was built in Stand Lane on the site currently occupied by the library: this was replaced by the current building in 1883. A Sunday school was built on Irwell Street in 1862, and was replaced by a new building in 1905, which also served as a day school until 1978, when it was destroyed by arson. The Bridge society also ran a mission at King Street between 1893 and 1914. Bridge was part of Bury Wesleyan Methodist Circuit until 1889, when it became part of the new Radcliffe Wesleyan Circuit, and after Methodist union, the Radcliffe Methodist Circuit.
Following a competition, the Society chose Mr A. W. Smith’s design, which was to accommodate 850 persons. One of the other designs considered was by George Woodhouse. Both architects specialised in non-conformist chapels.
At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, this chapel could seat 950. Still open for worship.
Grid Ref: SD787069
Reference: The twenty-eighth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1882 page 145
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Building News 18 March 1881 Page 313
Architects of Greater Manchester, 1800-1940. Accessed 17 December 2019 https://manchestervictorianarchitects.org.uk/