One of a number of Wesleyan chapels built in Southport, Wesley was built to seat 650. At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 620. The architects were a local Southport practice.
The chapel closed in 1971, but the name lives on as the congregation joined that of St. Philip and St. Paul in an LEP named St. Philip and St. Paul with Wesley.
Grid Ref: SD334160
Reference: The seventeenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1871 page 133
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Architects of Greater Manchester, 1800-1940. Accessed 17 December 2019 https://manchestervictorianarchitects.org.uk/