Dalton in Furness, Wellington Street WM Chapel was erected in 1864 at a cost of £898. The small rendered building to the rear of the chapel may have been erected at the same time but this is uncertain. A heating apparatus was installed at further cost of £52.3.0 in 1868. There were 450 sittings in 1873. A Sunday school building was added on an adjacent site in Chapel Street in 1896. In 1940 the chapel had 485 sittings on pews and there was a schoolroom and six other rooms. It remains in use as a Methodist place of worship.
A remarkably plain building in the gothic style. The walls are built of roughly squared grey stone and, even the quoins and window surrounds are in rock faced blocks of the same material. The only concessions to any form of decoration are the surround to the main entrance and the rose window which are in a yellowish sandstone. The building may be contrasted, on the one hand with its near (9 miles) much decorated Wesleyan neighbour at Ulverston (1901) and with a chapel in Dalton itself at Ulverston Road/Queen Street which is very much in the traditional mould exemplified at Cockermouth, Market Place, and Penrirth, Sandgatehead. The Sunday school building presents a further contrast. The grey stone used for the walls has been well squared and the openings have elaborate surrounds in red sandstone.
Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Site visit, 23.7.2016