There have been three Wesleyan Methodist chapels in Roade. The first, built in 1852 could seat 89. The chapel illustrated was designed by local architect Samuel J. Newman in 1876. This was replaced in 1907-1908 by the current chapel at right angles, but the building illustrated remained in use as the School room. Keith Guyler’s photograph shows the whole complex in 1996.
At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, the chapel could seat 100, but this increased to 180 by 1970.
The Hartwell Road chapel is still very much open.
Grid Ref: SP759517
The British Architect and Northern Engineer Vol. 5, 1876 p316
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns Part 2, 1973. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1973