Northampton Stimpson Avenue Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Northamptonshire

1 Northampton, Stimpson Road, WM Chapel, chapel site, 10.7.2019
2 Northampton, Stimpson Road, WM Chapel, school, 10.7.2019
3 Northampton, Stimpson Road, WM Chapel, back of school, 10.7.2019
4 Northampton, Stimpson Road, WM Chapel, window of school facade, 10.7.2019
5 Northampton, Stimpson Road, WM Chapel, detail of window of school facade, 10.7.2019
6 Northampton, Stimpson Road, WM Chapel, column, 10.7.2019

Stimpson Avenue Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1899/1900 and opened on 1 November. In 1940 there were sittings for 200 people on chairs. It had a schoolroom and ten other rooms. The chapel was closed after 1947 and converted to retail use. The conversion included the construction of a substantial extension to bring the front up to the building line (photograph 2). The premises are presently unoccupied.
The only hint that some of the original chapel still exists is the roof-line to be seen behind and above the modern walls (photograph 1). Like many Methodist buildings of its date Stimpson Road is a curious mix of architectural styles. The fenestration is a form of Gothic but the decorative glass in the schoolroom window is contemporary (photographs 3, 4 & 5). A touch of classicism is added by two magnificent granite columns supporting Corinthian capitals which can be seen just inside the modern entrance. They probably flanked the original doorway (photograph 6)
Sources
Northampton Mercury,30.10.1900
Northamptonshire Record Office, NMC12, 13, 14, 453, 454, Gold Street Circuit trust schedules, 1911-1959
Site visit 8.7.2019

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *