Irthlingborough, College Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1897 at a cost of £2380. It seated 600. In 1940 it seated 404 persons in pews and had two schoolrooms and two other rooms. In 1960 two halls, toilets and a kitchen were added. Part of this building can be seen on one of the images.
The local newspaper printed a full report of the opening ceremony. Its detailed description of the building designed by John Wills of Derby is as follows:
The new structure, which forms a pleasing addition to the architectural features of the town, is designed in the Gothic style of the 13th century. It is built of red brick, with best red facings from Elhstown; whilst Monk Park stone is freely used for the weatherings and for windows and doorways. The front has a gable with a three-light window and geometrical tracery, and under this is the main doorway with richly-moulded arch, and jambs with shafts and moulded and carved capital. This is flanked by two buttresses to strengthen the gable finished with cusped weatherings, whilst at the angles of the front there are octagonal buttresses running up and finishing with pinnacles and carved finials. The side windows have pointed heads, and the orchestra window, which is a striking feature of the building, has geometrical tracing and cusps of a very pretty design. There is a minister’s vestry and choir vestry, besides cellar for heating apparatus, lavatory etc. The roof is partially open with pitch-pine ceiling, and the timbers, which are visible, have arched ribs. The roof is also designed with diagonal intersecting principals in order to prepare for future transept. the seating throughout is of pitch-pine, the pews having solid ends and reclining backs. There is a gallery at one end and two sides; and the choir is placed over the minister’s vestry, but on a much lower level than the gallery. The organ chamber, which is placed in one corner, has arched openings into the nave and choir. The gallery and orchestra fronts are in pitch-pine, with cusped panels and mouldings. The rostrum is a handsome structure with pedestal centre and flanked with open work and wrought-iron balusters. The accommodation of the church is estimated at 680. Mr John Wills, of Derby, was the architect, and the building was erected by Messrs. Brown and Sons, of Wellingborough, the heating apparatus being supplied by Mr. Marriott, of Higham Ferrars. the total cost of the scheme has been about £2,500, towards which, in round figures, about £1,500 has been raised.
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940, No 684
Irthlingborough Methodist Church website, http://irthlingboroughmethodistchurch.co.uk/about-us/a-brief-history-of-irthlingborough-methodist-church/
Northampton Mercury for 23 April 1897 britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
Site visit 27.02.2019