Wellingborough, Park Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Northamptonshire

Wellingborough Park Street WM Chapel, facade, 3.1.2019
Wellingborough Park Street WM Chapel, name and date, 3.1.2019
Wellingborough Park Street WM Chapel, north side, 3.1.2019
Wellingborough Park Street WM Chapel, foundation dtones (v), 3.1.2019
Wellingborough Park Street WM Chapel, hall, 3.1.2019
Wellingborough Park Street WM Chapel, name plaquel, 3.1.2019

Park Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1872 at a cost of about £2600. The architect was Charles Bell and the builders Edward Barlow and Henry Peach. It has “a portico in front supported by small granite column” and the interior “is neatly fitted up, having galleries all round and furnished with sittings of varnished pine”. In 1873 it had 638 sittings. The neighbouring hall and school building were built in 1914. In most respects this building is a plainer echo of its neighbour the arches over the doorways and the name plaque discreetly acknowledge more recent design ideas. In 1940 the chapel had 570 sittings in pews and there were two school halls and two other rooms. The chapel was subsequently closed and is now occupied by the Zion Christian Church.
Sources
Whellan & Co, The History, Topography and Directory of Northamptonshire,1874 p. 883.
Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873, No 75
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940, No 686
Site visit 3.1.2019

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone