Ecton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Northamptonshire

Ecton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1824 (The date given in 1850 was 1839). In 1851 the chapel provided 36 free and 84 other sittings. The seating continued at roughly this level until 1940 when there were no other rooms. The chapel continued to be used as a Methodist place of worship at least until 1959 but has now been closed and appears to be in residential use. Architectural detail has largely been concealed under a coat of paint but it may be noted that the wide round arched windows are very similar to the chapel at neighbouring Great Billing

Sources

The National Archives 1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/171/1/3/11

John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Northampton, Gold Street and Queens Road Circuits 1873/69, 1891/109 1901/ 106, 1911/101, 1931/104

John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/680, Northampton Gold Street Circuit

Northamptonshire Record Office, NMC12, 13, 14, 453, 454, Gold Street Circuit trust schedules, 1911-1959

Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940, No 680

Northamptonshire Record Office, NMC12, 13, 14, 453, 454, Gold Street Circuit trust schedules, 1911-1959

Site visit 12.8.2021

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *