Irthlingborough, High Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Northamptonshire

Erthlingborough, High Street, facade, 27.2.2019

Irthlingborough, High Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1865. In 1873 there was seating for 348 people. It probably closed when the College Street Chapel was opened in 1997. It is now The Old Chapel Business Centre
Sources
Returns of accommodation provided in Wesleyan Methodist chapels and other preaching places obtained by The Wesleyan Chapel Committee in pursuance of a minute of the Conference of 1873, London 1875, No 74
Irthlingborough Methodist Church website, http://irthlingboroughmethodistchurch.co.uk/about-us/a-brief-history-of-irthlingborough-methodist-church/
Site visit 27.02.2019

Comments about this page

  • Further research has established that when College Street Chapel was opened in 1897 this building became a Sunday school and remained in use well into the twentieth century. In 1940 it had two school halls. One measuring 33 feet by 28 feet was probably the original schoolroom on the ground floor and the other measuring 47 feet by 28 feet was probably the original chapel building. It had a gallery 28 feet by 14 feet.
    Source
    John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD1Methodist Accommodation returns, 1940 No 686

    By G W Oxley (18/06/2019)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *