Higham Ferrers, Linnets Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Northamptonshire

Linnets Lane, houses and perimeter wall, 27.2.2019
Linnets Lane, perimeter wall and fenesatration, 27.2.2019

Higham Ferrers, Linnets Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1800. In 1851 it provided 105 free and 304 other sittings. In 1873 it had 364 sittings. It probably closed when the High Street chapel opened.
The locality has been much redeveloped in recent years. The images show the houses which seem to stand on the site. Their gable could be a conscious echo of the chapel gable. Signs of fenestration in the masonry perimeter wall could indicate that the wall is all that remains of the chapel.
Sources
Ward, GS, The 1851 Religious Census of Northamptonshire, p 146; TNA HO129/171/39
Returns of accommodation provided in Wesleyan Methodist chapels and other preaching places obtained by The Wesleyan Chapel Committee in pursuance of a minute of the Conference of 1873, London 1875, No 74
Site visit 27.02.2019

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *