Brixworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built by Thomas Holt in 1811. In 1851 the chapel provided 253 free and 153 other sittings and standing room for 60. A Sunday school was added in 1860. A major feature of this work seems to have been at roof level. There is a clear change in the brickwork at the foot of the apex in both gables and the plaque commemorating this event is in the western gable. Perhaps this reflects a change from a hipped roof (the usual form of chapel roof in 1811) to a gabled room. Was the intention to create enough headroom to insert a floor so that the ground floor could become the Sunday School with the chapel above? These changes seem to have slightly reduced the capacity of the chapel itself which stood at 361 in 1873. In 1940 the seating capacity was down to 300. There was also a schoolroom and one other room. The chapel was still being used as a Methodist place of worship in 1959 but was later closed and is now in residential use.
The National Archives HO129/170/52 1851 ecclesiastical census
Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873 No 69
Northamptonshire Record Office, NMC12, 13, 14, 453, 454, Gold Street Circuit trust schedules, 1911-1959
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940, No 680
Date and interpretation plaques.
Site visit: Church Street, Grid ref SP747612, 25.5.2019