Woburn Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
The Ecclesiastical Census of 30 March 1851 includes a return for Woburn Wesleyan Methodist. In a return made by Robert James Lilley, Steward, confectioner, it is stated that the congregation was meeting in New Street. There were 50 Free sittings and 50 other. On census day the General congregation was afternoon – 40 and evening – 44. The Book of Woburn states that at one time worship took place ‘in some cottages in Cobbs Row’.
The foundation stone for a new chapel was laid in October 1860. The preacher at the opening service was Rev William Morley Punshon. This chapel was registered for worship on 15 February 1861 by Thomas White Smith of Newport Pagnell (Bucks), Wesleyan Minister. The 1873 Returns of accommodation in Wesleyan Methodist Chapels 1873 records this chapel as having 178 Sittings. In 1886 a schoolroom was built to accommodate the increasing Sunday School.
Woburn WM chapel was sold in 1963 and the registration for worship cancelled on 22 May 1964.
Sources and References
The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby
Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch
The Book of Woburn – Kenneth G Spavins and Anne Applin
Returns of accommodation In Wesleyan Methodist Chapels 1873
Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service – Community Archives website